Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson

~The day Louisiana teenager Rory Deveaux arrives in London marks a memorable occasion. For Rory, it's the start of a new life at a London boarding school. But for many, this will be remembered as the day a series of brutal murders broke out across the city, gruesome crimes mimicking the horrific Jack the Ripper in the autumn of 1888.

Soon "Rippermania" takes hold of modern-day London, and the police are left with few leads and no witnesses. Except one. Rory spotted the man police now believe to be the prime suspect. But she is the only one who saw him. Even her roommate, who was with her at the time, didn't notice the mysterious man. So why can only Rory see him? And more urgently, why has Rory become his next target? In this edge-of-your-seat thriller, full of suspense, humor, and romance, Rory will learn the truth about the secret ghost police of London and discover her own shocking abilities.~


----------------------------------------------------------------
My Review:
I was first drawn to this book because of the amazing cover... obviously. I tend to judge a book by it's cover, which isn't always the best thing...this time though I was spot on. 

I actually really enjoyed this book, well as much as anyone can enjoy a book about a guy that's killing people. To be honest I hate scary things. Lets just face it, I'm scared of the Titanic of all things. Although scary is not my forte this book was creepy, scary and definitely suspenseful....and I loved every minute of it. 

I didn't know much about Jack the Ripper, so I did a little bit of reading (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_the_Ripper.) I read a TON about "Jack" and it made me understand the book a lot better. 

This book was amazing. If you don't believe me maybe you can believe these highly successful authors and magazine reviews:
---------------
“A gorgeously written, chilling, atmospheric thriller. The streets of London have never been so sinister or so romantic.” - Cassandra Clare

“Johnson fearlessly takes readers from what seems like a cool innocent-abroad-with-iPod story to supernatural thriller. The tension ramps up exquisitely among cups of tea, library visits and the London Underground. The explosive ending is genuinely terrifying but never loses the wit, verve and humor that Rory carries with her throughout.” - Kirkus Reviews

“There’s a Doctor Who-ish quality to the book—in both its technology and tone—that feels completely intentional and appealingly fresh to the YA genre, but Johnson’s biggest achievement is in having written a book that will appeal to fans of her earlier work, but also please SF/F readers.” - Locus Magazine
---------------
Let's talk about Rory. She was amazing, adventurous and VERY gutsy. I feel like if we met in real life that we would be friends. Although I think that if Justin Bieber and I met that we would get married...I might be wrong though.

Their was a little romance in the book, but nothing too much. Her relationship with Jerome wasn't very serious and I would be surprised if they stayed together in the next books in the series.

I really enjoyed this book and I hope you will too! 



 Love, Grace Elizabeth Nickols..xoxo




No comments:

Post a Comment